Table of Contents
Started in 1996, DataCash provides international payment processing services. Its focus on Europe and e-commerce payments made DataCash an ideal target for MasterCard, which acquired the company in 2010 for £333 million. Today, DataCash’s payment gateway and suite of e-commerce services have been integrated into MasterCard’s offerings.
These services include:
- Global multi-channel payment processing
- Advanced fraud prevention
- Risk offering
- Specialised knowledge and partnerships in e-commerce, including with major brands in the gaming, travel, retail and finance sectors
- Airline-specific services
- Local German presence
In this article, we provide background information on DataCash, including a summary of its main offerings, focusing on its payment processing gateway and other associated merchant services; the company’s history; and some of the advantages of using DataCash.
What Does DataCash Do?
According to their website, DataCash processes over one billion transactions every day for over 30,000 merchants. In addition, the company succeeds in blocking over £1 million worth of attempted fraud daily.
The company’s signature product is its integrated Payment Gateway, an all-in-one solution for payment processing and fraud prevention.
DataCash Payment Gateway
MasterCard’s Payment Gateway comes with a suite of merchant services and numerous DataCash payment methods, which makes it possible for merchants to securely accept debit and credit cards via DataCash.
DataCash’s Payment Gateway is, according to its website:
- Multi-Payment: “international credit and debit cards, online and offline bank transfers, e-wallets, local bank cards, gift and pre-paid cards, domestic Direct Debit, cash alternatives”
- Multi-Channel: e-commerce, mail, telephone, mobile, SMS and interactive TV
- Multi-Sector: Airline, Telecommunications, Retail, Gaming, Travel and Leisure and Entertainment
- Multi-National: payments in over 180 countries
- Multi-Currency: Dynamic Currency Conversion for international transactions and merchants
- Multi-Level Security
- MultiFactor Authentication: SecureCodeTM, VbVTM, J/SecureTM and SafeKeyTM
DataCash’s online credit and debit card processing is very fast (with response times usually under 2 seconds), secure and flexible.
DataCash and MasterCard’s API allows developers to integrate and evaluate Payment Gateway Services. Its Payment Gateway offers built-in PCI compliance, as well as DataCash reporting.
DataCash Merchant Services
The majority of DataCash’s merchant services are centered around its payment gateway.
Additional associated merchant services include:
- Hosted payment forms such as checkout pages, which reduce risk for the merchant
- A point-to-point encryption (P2PE) service that is completely PCI compliant
- Tokenization, which increases reduces the scope of PCI compliance, increases data security and protects the merchant by “hiding” sensitive data
- Cardholder Present Payments, which “provides merchants with the flexibility, security and scalability to implement in-store payments within a range of challenging environments, including hospitality and traditional retail”
History of DataCash
Headquartered in London, DataCash was founded in 1996, developing a particular focus on and expertise in e-commerce. When it was acquired by MasterCard, the company processed 240 million yearly transactions for over 1,400 clients. Since then, its reach and customer base have expanded significantly.
In 2009, DataCash acquired British company The 3rd Man Ltd., which was specialised in fraud screening services. The 3rd Man also developed GateKeeper, an analytic fraud prevention tool.
In 2014, MasterCard acquired the payment gateway made by Transaction Network Service (TNS), in order to strengthen the services it had already obtained through its acquisition of DataCash.
What are the Advantages of Using DataCash?
As a subsidiary of MasterCard – a leading worldwide financial services company – DataCash is one of the most trusted and reliable providers of merchant services in the UK. Its combination of outstanding merchant services and excellent fraud prevention tools make it a fantastic choice for merchants of every size.
Some of the advantages of using DataCash for merchant services include:
- Insights acquired from 43 billion transactions
- End-to-end and multi-channel solutions
- Partnerships with other well-respected companies
- Highly advanced security and fraud prevention technologies
- The ability to accept and process transactions in over 177 currencies and over 45 payment brands
- DataCash support centre
You can also compare this to the Ogone Ingenico payment gateway review.